VAUGHAN, ON, May 4, 2016 – Mackenzie Health Foundation is proud to announce its extraordinary campaign cabinet for the $250-million Exceptional Care Belongs Here campaign for Mackenzie Health.
The 33-member campaign cabinet is being led by chair Greg Sorbara, who is Chancellor of York University, chair of the Advisory Board for the Sorbara Group of Companies, a former provincial Finance Minister and longtime champion of a hospital for Vaughan.
As prominent leaders in business, health care and the community, this passionate and dedicated team of volunteers is the driving force behind the multi-year Exceptional Care Belongs Here campaign – the largest fundraising drive led by a community hospital in Canada– to help build and equip the much anticipated Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital, as well as to enhance care at Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital.
“We are asking people to make a gift to something that will be a direct part of their lives, for the rest of their lives and for generations to come,” Sorbara said. “This cabinet will help to inspire the donations that will create lasting legacies and transform health care in southwest York Region.”
The members of the campaign cabinet represent the region’s enterprises and diversity and all have “a high degree of public commitment”, he added.
“The cabinet is currently focused on inspiring transformational gifts during our ‘quiet phase’ of our Exceptional Care Belongs Here campaign,” Mackenzie Health Foundation President and CEO Ingrid Perry said. “The foundation is proud to have this remarkable group of volunteers to inspire philanthopy throughout our community in support of this crucially important hospital project,” Perry added.
“With the leadership and commitment of our cabinet volunteers, we are confident we will reach our campaign goal that will help us deliver a state-of-the-art hospital as part of Mackenzie Health’s vision to create a world-class health experience for the people of Vaughan and all of York Region,” Mackenzie Health President and CEO Altaf Stationwala said.
Campaign momentum is quietly building as the Vaughan hospital project steadily progresses, Glenn Beaumont, chair of the Mackenzie Health Foundation board of directors, said. More announcements of gift pledges for $1 million or more will be made in the near future, he added.
The most significant gift to the campaign to date has been made by Magna International Inc., with its $10-million pledge last October to Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital. The emergency department at the new hospital will be named Magna Emergency.
The $250-million community campaign supports the local share portion of building Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital – 10 per cent of construction costs, as required by the Province of Ontario – as well as the majority of equipment and furniture. Under Mackenzie Health’s two-hospital model, a portion of the campaign will enhance patient care at Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital.
On April 21, Infrastructure Ontario and Mackenzie Health closed the request for proposal stage for the teams shortlisted to design, build, finance and maintain Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital.
When completed, Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital will provide an additional 350 beds, 1,847 full-time equivalent staff positions and 100 physician specialists to the Mackenzie Health continuum of care. Expected date of completion for the new hospital will be finalized in the fall of 2016 upon the financial close of contract.
Mackenzie Health is a regional health care provider currently serving the rapidly growing communities of southwest York Region at Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital and through a network of community sites in Richmond Hill, Vaughan and Barrie.
Since 1977, Mackenzie Health Foundation has raised more than $110 million for capital projects, medical equipment, technology and educational opportunities for Mackenzie Health.
Presenting the Mackenzie Health Foundation Campaign Cabinet Members
- Naseer Ahmad, Real Estate
- Glenn Beaumont, Chair, Mackenzie Health Foundation Board of Directors; President, Enbridge Gas Distribution
- Maurizio Bevilacqua, Mayor, City of Vaughan
- Gabriel Bianchi, Broker of Record and Owner, Re/Max Premier Inc.
- Robert De Gasperis, President, DG Group
- Marie Fiorellino-Di Poce, Owner, John Paul & Co.; founding member ETA Vaughan Women’s Shelter
- Vince Galifi, Executive Vice-President and CFO, Magna International Inc.
- Lou Greenbaum, Principal, The Vogue Development Group Inc.
- Tony Iannuzzi, President, Carpenters’ District Council of Ontario
- Sandra Kaiser, Vice-President, Corporate Affairs, SmartREIT
- Sandra Maio, Legal Counsel, HBNG Holborn Group
- Fraser Nelson, former Chair, Mackenzie Health Foundation Board of Directors
- Paul Pellegrini, President and Founder, Sussex Strategy Group
- Ingrid Perry, President and CEO, Mackenzie Health Foundation
- Moris Pilla, Partner, KPMG LLP
- Rina Pillitteri, Regional Vice-President, Royal Bank of Canada
- Mark Roccatani, Executive Director and Regional Head, CIBC Private Wealth Management, GTA Region
- Joseph Sgro, General Manager and Partner, ZZEN Group of Companies Ltd.
- Greg Sorbara, Chancellor, York University; Chair, Advisory Board, Sorbara Group of Companies; Chair, Mackenzie Health Foundation Exceptional Care Belongs Here campaign
- Anthony Staffieri, Executive Vice-President and CFO, Rogers Communications Inc.
- Altaf Stationwala, President and CEO, Mackenzie Health
- Stelio Zupancich, Vice-President, Real Estate, TD Commercial Banking
- Marisa Fabiano, Senior Vice-President, Rogers Media Business Unit
- Nikki Holland, Director of Public Affairs, Carpenters’ District Council of Ontario
- Dr. Steven Jackson, Chief of Staff, Mackenzie Health
- John Mills, Chair, Mackenzie Health Board of Directors
- David Stolte, Vice-President, Strategy and Development, Mackenzie Health
Medical Leadership, Mackenzie Health
- Dr. Prince Aujla
- Dr. Luke Bui
- Dr. Victoria Chan
- Dr. Stanley Herman
- Dr. Kavitha Passaperuma
- Dr. Peter Stroz
Contact: Debora Kelly, Director, Communications, Marketing & Stewardship, Mackenzie Health Foundation, Debora.Kelly@mackenziehealth.ca, 905.883.1212, ext. 7803